Thursday, May 14, 2009

Houston -- who says you can't go home again?


I flew to Houston Sunday afternoon to do three school visits -- one on Monday, one on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. It's a LONG flight. Obviously, it's a long, long way. But man, was it ever worth it.


Houston has a richly diverse school population, and it's fantastic. But the beauty isn't in the differences. The beauty is in how much kids are, essentially, all the same. I don't mean they aren't utterly unique or individual. They are. Every kid is a shooting star -- dazzling and distinctive. But their desire to be heard, to be cared for, to laugh and especially to know the power of mutual respect transcends age, race and geography.


That constant gives me so much hope. And the love the kids share with me makes me feel like a titan, even if I am wrapped in a plump, old lady cloak.


Thanks, kids of Houston. And thanks librarians. You work SO hard. And the hard work SHOWS in the faces of the young people you serve so well. THANK YOU for having me at your schools. It was a TREAT and a pleasure I will never, ever forget!


Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment