Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Yikes & Skypes


Has it really been a month since I posted? I'd feel bad, except no one reads my blog, so I've only disappointed myself. : )


I've been pretty busy with assignments, school visits and Skype experiments.


What is Skype? It's an online forum -- free so far -- that enables member-to-member video communications. Because TALES OF THE CRYPTIDS is on the PSLA's Young Reader's Choice nomination list, I've had the opportunity to talk to several classrooms in PA about the book via Skype, and it's been tremendous fun -- at least for me.


The discussion among children's writers and illustrators, with regard to Skype, is what to charge for time invested. For illustrators, I can see exacting a fee, because prep time for illustrators is a little more extensive. But so far, I'm not charging for the opportunity because I see it as a promotional opportunity along with an outreach. But I'll reserve the right to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment