Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Utah/Southern Idaho SCBWI Conference, Sept 11


I'm so excited about speaking at the Utah/Southern Idaho regional SCBWI Conference on Saturday, September 11. I get to do a breakout on nonfiction for reluctant readers and one on school visits, and I think I'm well prepared, which means I think I have material to truly help other writers pursue those endeavors, too.


The more the merrier. That's what my mom always said, and I totally agree.


I often say, when one of us succeeds, we all do, and it's never been truer. We are in this together, we children's writers -- especially nonfiction writers, who sometimes feel undervalued. Agents don't always represent us. Librarians sometimes forget we can give school visits, too. It feels bad. But don't let it. Agents love us too, but they have to make a living, and fiction pays better. Librarians love our books, as do the kids. So they just need a gentle reminder.


So if you're in Boise on Saturday, September 11, I hope you'll stop by. I'm just one of a bunch of powerful speakers. Also on schedule:


Chris Crutcher, YA author sublime

Cheryl Klein, Editor at Arthur A. Levine Books, Scholastic

Jill Corcoran, Agent at the Herman Agency

A brilliant team of first time novelists to show you how you can publish your first

And more.


For more information, contact Neysa Jensen or visit this website and scroll down:




No comments:

Post a Comment